To address the impact of COVID-19 on K-12 schools, Congress passed three stimulus bills in 2020 and 2021 that provide financial support for schools called Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER) funds.
- CARES ACT, passed on March 27, 2020: provided $13.5 billion to the ESSER fund
- CRRSA, passed on December 27, 2020: provided $54.3 billion to the ESSER fund
- ARP, passed on March 11, 2021: provided $122.7 billion to the ESSER fund
Special Education departments around the country are using ESSER funds to support students with disabilities throughout the pandemic, review IEPs to update services and address COVID learning loss, ensure equitable access to services for all students, and more.
The Athlos Special Education software supports special education departments in all of these efforts and thus qualifies for ESSER funding:
- The Athlos app assists in the COVID-19 response for special education teachers and service providers, who have seen their service model disrupted by the current pandemic. The app helps districts ensure equitable services for all students.
- With the app, providers can document and share both virtual and in-person services, service attempts, attendance and student progress.
- The data gathered and presented through the Athlos app can be vital to determining the scope of learning loss for special education students, one of the hardest-hit groups during the pandemic, and documenting all attempts to serve students in all phases of school closure and reopening.
- The service provision data created and maintained within the Athlos app can bolster the required detailed district and state accounting and reporting of the use of ESSER, ESSER II and ARP ESSER funds, with a focus on how the State is using funds to measure and address learning loss among students disproportionately affected by the coronavirus and school closures, including children with disabilities.
- Streamlining progress and service data gives providers more time to deliver targeted, high quality intervention to students with the most need.
Learn more about the software below and check out our full funding cheat sheet on how your district can use ESSER and other funds to purchase Athlos Special Education Logs.